COUNTRY FUN

an early education learning space ~ where play equals learning

Pumpkins Day 3

| 0 comments

We started our morning off reading Pumpkin, Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington. I also had sequencing cards all run off and laminated to use as we read the story. I cannot find the original black/white source for these cards. When I do I will edit for the link.

Then it was into the kitchen. We learned about nutmeg today. Observed it in whole form and tried various ways to break it up to use in our recipe. Knife didn’t work. Scraping with a spoon didn’t work. Smashed with a hammer, which worked fine for the smell, but the pieces were too big to use. I got out my grater, which was explored. Decided the smallest holes would make the smallest spice, so I grated a whole nutmeg and sure enough we got our powdered spice.  

Oh She Glows had a simple pumpkin butter recipe that I adapted (used apple cider and no spices or sugar) to have with our pumpkin donuts recipe from bunsinmyoven. Since we used canned organic pumpkin that already had spices in it we adjusted the recipe a little. We just needed to figure out how to get it out of the can. Shaking? No. Hammer? No way! Take off the top – yes, but with what? (silence) Manual can opener. Easy to see how gears work.  We only added a strong 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp fresh nutmeg. We also cooked our donuts with a mini donut sheet, not machine. Sampled one hot from the oven ~ should make a good snack.

Our song for today is based on “Ten Little Indians” ~

One little, two little, three little pumpkins.

Four little, five little, six little pumpkins.

Seven little, eight little, nine little pumpkins.

Ten little pumpkin in the patch.

Ten little, nine little, eight little pumpkins.

Seven little, six little, five little pumpkins.

Four little, three little, two little pumpkins.

One little pumpkin in the patch.

Inspiration for today”s craft project was from Kaboosse. I have made many stuffed bag pumpkins before, but I’m adapting the tendril and leaves idea this year.   Drying tonight, so will finish tomorrow.